Vermicelli noodles are one of those great staple items everyone should have in their pantry. Cheap and super fast to prepare, they soak up all the delicious flavours of anything you throw at them. This makes them an excellent base for a salad.
Key to this spicy chicken and vermicelli salad is the dressing – spicy, sweet and sour. It’s a real flavour bomb, so it’s best to keep the ingredients pretty simple and just let the dressing shine.
This chicken and vermicelli noodle salad is by no means authentic to any particular Asian cuisine. I’ve taken some liberal inspiration from both Thai and Vietnamese flavour combinations, but the result is nonetheless very tasty. It’s also very easy, which in my view is sometimes more important.
We’re all busy and we’re all too tired to feel inspired to make creative healthy meals sometimes. This is for those days. When work has been painful, the train delayed and you walk in the front door cranky and hoping dinner will just materialise in front of you.
This recipe will take you less than 10 minutes from start to eating. Possibly 5 minutes if you’re really speedy.
I used leftover shredded roast chicken from the previous night’s BBQ. I encourage you to do the same.
Throw in some sliced cucumber, noodles, salad leaves and coriander, toss with the dressing and you’re ready to eat.
Dinner in under 10 minutes. Happy days.
Spicy and fresh, this salad is also great to make ahead for lunches – it’s definitely one of my favs. Just keep the dressing separate until you’re ready to eat unless you want soggy cucumbers. Soggy cucumbers = very sad lunch!
- 100gm Vermicelli noodles
- 100gm shredded chicken breast (cooked)
- 2 handful baby salad leaves
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 1 birds eye chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Soak vermicelli noodles in boiling water for 5 mins, or according to packet directions
- Refresh under cold water and drain
- Add noodles, chicken, coriander, leaves and cucumber to a large bowl
- For the dressing combination lime juice, chilli, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a jar and shake to combine
- Pour over the salad and toss well
- NUTRITIONAL INFO (PER SERVE)
- Calories 349
- Carbs (gm) 49
- Fat (gm) 9
- Protein (gm) 17
- Fibre (gm) 1
- TOTAL MEAL COST