My love affair with zucchini noodles continues!
I really can’t get enough of them. They are a huge favourite on the dinner rotation and such a great alternative to normal pasta when you’re in the mood for something a bit lighter.
Zucchini noodles are ‘volume food’ at it’s best. If you’ve spent any time with the gym loving crowd of IIFYM’ers you’ll have heard the term. Basically any food that allows you to eat a big pile of satisfying food while consuming minimal calories. In the case of zucchini you can gobble up 500gm of zucchini for under 100 calories, that’s called winning!
There’s no limit to the number of different ways to use zucchini noodles because they happily soak up whatever flavour you choose to through at them.
Tomato based ✔
You can also eat them raw or cooked which means they suit a fresh summery salad or a warming hot ‘pasta’ or swimming in spicy broth.
I can’t claim that this particular dish came about through any deliberateness of my own, it was really more about what happened to be on hand. It’s lovely and fresh, so is perfect when you feel like a bit of nourishment.
This dish is:
Loaded with fibre and other good things.
Whip this simple recipe up in no time, then curl up on the couch under a blanket and give your mum a call and tell her (truthfully) that you’re looking after yourself.
- 100gm smoked salmon
- 200gm zucchini
- 20gm rocket
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 free range egg
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Put your egg in a small saucepan and cover with cold water
- Bring to the boil then turn off the heat, leave the egg for 5 minutes for soft boiled or 7-8 minutes for hard boiled
- Refresh under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel and set aside
- Julienne the zucchini or use a spiraliser to create the noodles
- Add the zucchini, rocket and peas to a bowl
- Whisk the oil, lemon, salt & pepper together and pour over the zucchini salad
- Toss to coat the salad well
- Pile zucchini salad onto a plate and top with smoked salmon, egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Calories 480
- Carbs (gm) 23
- Fat (gm) 29
- Protein (gm) 37
- Fibre (gm) 7